[Proj] Algorithms & Plate Carrée

Noel Zinn (cc) ndzinn at comcast.net
Mon Jul 23 09:47:22 EST 2012

Thanks, Irwin.  That helps, but I am still confused by this statement:

> how can one correct for the distortion due to Plate Carrée?

Where does Plate Carrée figure into this?  Not from Google Earth where the
poles can be displayed, not possible in Plate Carrée.  I'd guess that the
"projection" you get in Google Earth is an ellipsoidal orthographic, the
formulas for which can be found here:

http://www.hydrometronics.com/downloads/Ellipsoidal%20Orthographic%20Projection.pdf

The inverse offered in the link is iterative.  Charles Karney has a closed
inverse that I can provide.

So, setting aside registration and atmospheric distortion, the problem is
defined as the difference in area between a UTM "square" and an ellipsoidal
orthographic "square" with the same geographical vertices.  That seems
solvable, but is it what you mean?

Noel

Noel Zinn, Principal, Hydrometronics LLC
+1-832-539-1472 (office), +1-281-221-0051 (cell)
noel.zinn at hydrometronics.com (email)
http://www.hydrometronics.com (website)