[Proj] Algorithms & Plate Carrée

Irwin Scollar al001 at uni-koeln.de
Mon Jul 23 11:47:02 EST 2012

Noel Zinn wrote:

"Where does Plate Carree figure into this?  Not from Google Earth where the
poles can be displayed, not possible in Plate Carree.  I'd guess that the
"projection" you get in Google Earth is an ellipsoidal orthographic, ..."

That applies at the Poles, but:

The Google Earth help page says:

Google Earth uses Simple Cylindrical projection with a WGS84 datum
for its imagery base. Simple Cylindrical (Plate Carree) Projection
and displays an image of it.  See:

http://support.google.com/earth/bin/answer.py?hl=en&answer=148110

Hopefully, given some of the sources of distortion in a GE image, a
correction solution may be fairly simple within the limits of the
resolution of the imagery..

By small area, I mean something between 1 and 4 km square. Polar
areas are of no interest for my application.  Only those areas with
high resolution imagery are of concern. By this I mean the products
which Google buys in the form of geometrically corrected orthophotos
from national e.g. IGN-France or local mapping services, e.g.
Germany, in those parts of the world where they expect that
advertising revenue will accrue,  or where they get good quality
imagery from their leased GeoEye now merged with Digital Globe which
can be used in much of North Africa and the Middle and Far East.

20-30 cm per pixel is available and in a very few instances, ca.10-15
cm (Netherlands), but 50 cm. per pixel is about average for built-up
areas in Europe and the Middle East.  In some cases, Google has
obtained their data from national or local GeoPortal sites whose
imagery has been placed on the Web under the European Union Inspire directive.

It's usually easier to search with Google Earth or even with Bing
Maps which sometimes has better material if Microsoft's own aircraft
has been making the pictures using their Austrian subsidiary's Vexcel
mapping cameras.  GeoPortals do not have uniform user interfaces or
languages and quality varies widely.  Google is the only supplier of
fairly decent data over much of the world, hence my interest.

Irwin