[Proj] Algorithms & Plate Carrée

Noel Zinn (cc) ndzinn at comcast.net
Mon Jul 23 20:15:48 EST 2012

Thanks for the link, Irwin.  It's telling.  My interpretation is that the GE
imagery is stored (databased) in Plate Carree (the first image, Simple
Cylindrical (Plate Carree) Projection), but displayed quite differently (the
second image, Google Earth Image Base), which appears to me to be an
orthographic (either spherical or ellipsoidal), but it may not be.

It's not relevant that polar areas are of no interest for your application.
GE displays polar areas quite nicely, which is prima facie evidence that the
projection (north, south and in between) is not Plate Carree.  Regardless of
where you capture your image from GE, it's not Plate Carree.  The
orthographic perspective is infinite.  GE may present in some other,
non-infinite, vertical perspective, but who knows?  By the way, the maths
for vertical perspectives are presented in the EPSG Guidance Note 7 Part 2
at www.epsg.com.  If it is a non-orthographic vertical perspective, the
elevation of the viewing point may vary as a function of zoom.  I don't
think there's an easy answer to your question, Irwin.

Noel

Noel Zinn, Principal, Hydrometronics LLC
+1-832-539-1472 (office), +1-281-221-0051 (cell)
noel.zinn at hydrometronics.com (email)
http://www.hydrometronics.com (website)