[Proj] using an NTv2 grid to apply a slight shift to coordinates in a metric CS

Andre Joost andre+joost at nurfuerspam.de
Thu Jan 3 11:25:23 EST 2013

Hi,

the nadgrid shift is usually done with lat/lon coordinates. You
transform your cartesian coordiantes to lat/lon, apply the shift, and
transform into another grid.

The syntax of the proj string is:
+proj=tmerc +lat_0=0 +lon_0=9 +x_0=3500000 +y_0=0 +k=1.000000
+ellps=bessel +units=m +nadgrids=path/to/BETA2007.gsb +wktext

The grid file has to be in binary format, which can be transformed from
an ASCII file.

For the German grid, information can be found here:
<http://crs.bkg.bund.de/crseu/crs/descrtrans/BeTA/de_dhdn2etrs_beta.php>

Most other users of NTv2 should have published similar documentation.

HTH,
André Joost