[Proj] Italian Datum

Jan Hartmann j.l.h.hartmann at uva.nl
Fri Jan 25 06:49:24 EST 2013

Hi all,

I'm indexing an Italian map series 1:100.000, published around 1950 on
the basis of measurements in the first half of the 20th century. Map
sheets are registered in lat-lon values, 30 seconds east-west 20 seconds
north east, with Rome as central meridian (12d27'08''40). Those values
are on the International Ellipsoid. I would like to transform those
values to WGS84. In the Proj4 epsg file I find lots of latlon
projections with ellps=intl and different +towgs84 parameters. I read
Cliff Mugnier's column about Italy
(http://www.asprs.org/a/resources/grids/08-2005-italy.pdf), but I am
unable to find which epsg number is most appropriate for these maps. Can
anyone help?

Jan