[Proj] [osgeo4w-dev] Using cmake of osgeo projects?

Greg Troxel gdt at ir.bbn.com
Thu Jul 25 19:01:37 EST 2013

Charles Karney <charles.karney at sri.com> writes:

> On 06/29/2013 09:05 PM, Mateusz Loskot wrote:
>> I don't know what's typical, regarding developer's reaction on CMake adoption
>> proposal, but as a big fan of CMake, I wouldn't paint it in pink colours only.
>>
>> Thus, I understand, for example, Frank's experience may be very different.
>>
>> Finally, if a software has a build system that is usable and works on
>> all supported
>> platforms, I also understand a team may go for lean approach: don't change it.
>>

> I basically agree.  However, let's not forget those users who need, for
> one reason or another, to compile these packages themselves.

I find it odd to talk about how one can't compiile packages oneself when
they use autoconf.

Is this really about accomodating windows without using cygwin?  I have
found that autoconf/automake/libtool is really quite workable.

Does cmake support

   building in an objdir, with a read-only srcdir

   cross-compiling

   the equivalent of 'make dist' and 'make distcheck'

   building on a system not previously known to the build system, as
   long as feature tests are doable