[Proj] Info on proj4 formulas

Clifford J Mugnier cjmce at lsu.edu
Fri May 9 12:59:47 EST 2014

Variations in projection formulae can be an academic exercise or a catastrophe, depending on the application.  Most GIS applications can use practically any truncation of the infinite series (4th order, 5th order, 6th order, etc.) with little to no effect to day-to-day work.  There are two exceptions:

1.)	Military.  Always use whatever is currently promulgated by NGA for NATO/SEATO applications.  This helps avoid “friendly fire” incidents among units that provide indirect fire support.

2.)	Oil and Gas.  Exploration and Production concessions leased by national governments use map projections for Grid Systems as legal coordinate systems sometimes based on specific truncations.  When that is in effect, the use of other truncations (especially in offshore areas) can produce catastrophic errors in positioning.

Sometimes, mathematical distortions at various distances from the projection origin are on purpose!

Cliff Mugnier
LOUISIANA STATE UNIVERSITY