[Proj] Is it possible to store a WGS84 / Pseudo Mercator image as a GeoTIFF?

Andre Joost andre+joost at nurfuerspam.de
Sun Feb 8 07:46:08 EST 2015

Hi Mikael,

You should probably ask "since when it is supported correctly?".

I remember that EPSG:900913 was rejected by EPSG and GIS professionals
for a long time, until it was adopted as EPSG:3857.

And there were several complaints about misalignments of abot 20km to
the North, due to the non-standard transformation Google had invented.

EPSG:3395 and EPSG:3785 were some steps on the right way.

As a reference, you can look for older versions of QGIS including GDAL
and PROJ at http://qgis.org/downloads/ back to 2010.

http://www.gisinternals.com/archive.php dates back to GDAL 1.7.3

FWtools http://fwtools.maptools.org/ might still be older.

Greetings,