[Proj] Is it possible to store a WGS84 / Pseudo Mercator image as a GeoTIFF?

Noel Zinn (cc) ndzinn at comcast.net
Sun Feb 8 08:35:11 EST 2015

Andre,

"Adopted" connotes acceptance.  Perhaps "tolerated" is closer to the truth.

Mikael,

If you're not aware of "Implications of Web Mercator and Its Use in Online
Mapping", by Battersby, Finn, Usery and Yamamoto (Cartographica 2014),
here's a link:

http://www.researchgate.net/publication/265895464_Implications_of_Web_Mercator_and_Its_Use_in_Online_Mapping

And even "tolerated" connotes too much acceptance for the US National
Geospatial-Intelligence Agency.  See link following:

http://earth-info.nga.mil/GandG/wgs84/web_mercator/

Noel

Noel Zinn, Principal, Hydrometronics LLC
+1-832-539-1472 (office), +1-281-221-0051 (cell)
noel.zinn at hydrometronics.com (email)
http://www.hydrometronics.com (website)