[Proj] Switch utm from tmerc to etmerc

Roger Bivand Roger.Bivand at nhh.no
Mon Oct 26 04:00:54 EST 2015

On Mon, 26 Oct 2015, Charles Karney wrote:

> I have a different understanding of the process from you.

Yes, that's why I voiced it. The understanding of process in software
development (not only open source) and in reproducible research does
differ. I mentioned the same concern on:

https://stat.ethz.ch/pipermail/r-sig-geo/2015-August/023204.html

to which Howard replied:

http://lists.osgeo.org/pipermail/metacrs/2015-August/000848.html

Software development seems to focus on replacing "less correct"
computations with "more correct; more attractive; more efficient", while
reproducible research needs to document as far as possible which versions
of software and metadata were used to generate a given result from given
data (things like RNG seeds too). So when the EPSG file is updated, it
would be great to be able to "know" about the version from the user
interface.

The same applies to +proj=utm, which is widely used, and where projection
to utm from 4.9.3 will give (slightly) different numerical results
(possibly trivial for practical purposes), but which may for example
change variogram fitting output (again trivially, but tests for numerical
equality within machine precision are often used to trap other software
changes).

If an environment variable was available to revert to legacy behaviour, it
would be easy to see if downstream changes in performance are down to this
(agreed, sensible) revision, or to something else.

Sorry to be pedantic, but the difference in understanding is real.

Roger

--
Roger Bivand
Helleveien 30, N-5045 Bergen, Norway.