[Proj] Switch utm from tmerc to etmerc

Charles Karney charles.karney at sri.com
Mon Oct 26 09:43:30 EST 2015

Roger,

Reading your last messages, it seems to me that we are exactly aligned
in our understanding.

First of all (as I'm sure you realize), the results you get from proj.4
*are* reproducible providing you keep track of the version (software +
data files + compiler + build environment + ...).

For any reasonably complex package like proj.4 (and proj.4 is simpler
than most because it doesn't depend on other libraries), lots of things
change from one version to the next (bug fixes, improvements to
algorithms, new capabilities, etc.)  You want an easy way to toggle
these changes in version N to reproduce, selectively, the behavior in
version N-1.

While this is certainly doable, I don't think it's a sustainable
solution to deal with the scores of little fixes that get made to proj.4
during the course of a year.  (The code becomes a mess; testing is a
bigger mess; there will be all sorts of weird interactions between the
resulting environment variables.)

If there is a need to reproduce the old utm behavior in the next release
of proj.4, then I would recommend using tmerc (with the extra parameters
to specify central longitude, false easting, and scale) instead of utm.

And, of course, you always have the choice of sticking with the previous
version of proj.4

   --Charles