[Proj] Missing proj_def.dat in 4.9.1 release

Roger Bivand Roger.Bivand at nhh.no
Mon Sep 7 01:54:27 EST 2015

Sebastiaan Couwenberg <sebastic <at> xs4all.nl> writes:

> On 06-09-15 22:02, Roger Bivand wrote:
> > Does anyone know how to warn other packagers - I had hoped people would pick
> > this up from Trac in May, but was alarmed to find that nothing had been
done?

> This thread is the first I hear of this issue, so that's a good start.
> Filing bugreports on the various distribution packages is probably the
> best way to get the attention of the various distribution maintainers
> who don't read this list. The best way to get distribution maintainers
> attention is with a new upstream release.

Indeed, that was what I did as soon as I'd diagnosed the problem, in #274,
then in Trac, but migrated to:

https://github.com/OSGeo/proj.4/issues/274

The problem was then said to have been fixed (May 20), and:

http://lists.maptools.org/pipermail/proj/2015-May/007126.html

said that: "I think we should issue a new 4.9.2 release as a result", but
nothing happened apart from everything being moved to github at about the
same time.

> If you want to hunt down the distributions including PROJ.4 you can use
> the whohas utility to query the various distribution repositories.
>
> http://www.philippwesche.org/200811/whohas/intro.html

Currently generating a lot of error messages under Fedora 22 for me,
unfortunately. Since the proj PSC made the mess, I guess the management
model needs urgent reconsideration. Certainly an urgent, properly checked
4.9.2 release is justified by this file omission.

Roger