[Proj] EPSG Dataset ver 9.0 released on 15th December 2016

Martin Desruisseaux martin.desruisseaux at geomatys.com
Mon Dec 19 12:35:02 EST 2016

Le 20/12/2016 à 01:39, Howard Butler a écrit :

> This has been a desire of mine as well. The first step is to get the
> libraries on a common yet extensible database. I proposed SQLite [1],
> which is everywhere nowadays.

Indeed, SQLite is also the database behind Geopackage.

> The EPSG db isn't provided in SQLite,

The PostgreSQL variant of EPSG SQL scripts is quite standard I think,
except maybe for the "replace" functions at the end of the "data.sql"
file (those last instructions can be skipped with little harm anyway).
We have been able to run them on Derby and HSQL with few changes. I
presume that running them on SQLite would not be too difficult.

> but the CRS software constellation has many more dictionaries than
> just EPSG to worry about.

Right, we have seen an interest from some space agencies for planetary
CRS (Mars, Venus, etc.) this year. This raises new issues, for example
some map projection formulas are approximated by series expansions with
a number of terms designed for Earth's eccentricity, which doesn't work
for Jupiter for instance. But this is another story.

> I'd love to talk about this topic at the Daytona Code Sprint [2]. Come
> join me to focus on Proj.4 and open source CRS issues. The
> http://proj4.org website and infrastructure was an outcome of the
> Paris Code Sprint [3] last year, for example.

On my side I will be in Asia at the code sprint time. But maybe this
mailing list is a good place to continue discussion as needed? I'm also
considering doing a talk at some FOSS4G event...

    Martin