[Proj] [MetaCRS] Motion: Promote Proj.4 4.9.3RC3 to Final Release

Greg Troxel gdt at ir.bbn.com
Sun Sep 4 10:35:02 EST 2016

Kristian Evers <kreve at sdfe.dk> writes:

> Looking at the github milestone page for 4.9.3 [0] you can see that there's a bit more than just bug fixes.
> A few more projections has been added (Patterson, Natural Earth II, Compact Miller, MISR SOM).
> The default UTM projection is now etmerc. A bunch of stuff has been
> added with regards to tests, but that is probably not of interest for
> the general user.
>
> I guess we need to compile a proper list of what's new and put in NEWS
> before releasing?

It's too late, but adding NEWS on trunk would be great.

From a user POV, bugfixes and new projections are not that big a deal,
since they don't in theroy change anything that was already right.

Changing UTM to etmerc is a more significant change.  (Not objecting in
the least; it's just quite notable.)   So I think we have:

4.9.3 Release Notes

 o UTM now uses etmerc, following NGA recommendations.  Tests adjusted
   for tiny changes in values.

 o new projections: Times, Natural Earth II, Compact Miller, Patterson
   Cylindrical, and inverse for Hammer and Eckert-Greifendorff.

 o runtime self tests are now opt-in instead of opt-out

 o math constants moved to projects.h

 o bugfixes