[Proj] A template for documenting projections

Howard Butler howard at hobu.co
Thu Sep 8 23:11:54 EST 2016

> On Sep 8, 2016, at 4:50 PM, Kristian Evers <kreve at sdfe.dk> wrote:
>
> All,
>
> I have spend a few hours documenting the Mercator projection in the hopes that it can serve as a template for the rest of the projections that still need to be documented.
>
> http://proj4.org/projections/merc.html
>
> This is just my first initial thoughts on how to document a projection.
> I've divided the page into a few sections:
>
> - A short introduction
> - A table with a few key facts
> - Plot(s)
> - Usage/examples
> - Underlying math
> - References
>
> I would like to hear your thought on this. Is this a sufficient level of documentation? Did I leave out something obvious (in general terms, not specific to the Mercator projection)? Do you like the general format?

I think it looks great, with the greatest benefit being everything about it finally in one place. I might only add links to Wikipedia, Wolfram, and/or Wherever as a "further reading" section. Maybe we just need Snyder's book in Sphinx format ;)

Sphinx sure does make for some pretty documentation when you put in the effort. I will work through automated PDF generation of the website in addition to the currently existing HTML. We have this for PDAL and MapServer sites as well, and we have found it very valuable for snapshotting documentation in conjunction with releases.