[Proj] https://github.com/OSGeo/projgrids

Even Rouault even.rouault at spatialys.com
Mon Dec 18 10:11:30 EST 2017

On lundi 18 décembre 2017 14:42:28 CET Kristian Evers wrote:
> Even,
>
> Thanks for setting this up! A few comments and ideas:

Basically I just did the first easy step and will now quickly run away before the real troubles
show up ;-)

> 1.       Some structure in the repo would be nice. It might be as simple as
> having a folder called "grids" which contain all the grids and then
> README's and other relevant files in the root.

Agreed

> 2.       We should come up with some rules to govern the repo with. The most
> important here is describing the requirements for getting grids accepted as
> part of the repository. A list of accepted licenses would be handy.

Would the following make sense:
- Public domain
- X/MIT, BSD 2/3/4 clause
- CC0, CC-BY, CC-BY-SA

Or perhaps we could just require the license to be an OSI approved one ? The license of grid
files, being data files, should have no consequence on the software stack itself, right ?

> Contact information or some other form of source of the grid is also needed I think.

Agreed. The README could track the provenance & licensing of grids.

> 3.       Can we convert the old CTable files to CTable2 format? The former
> are architecture dependent. Effectively fixes
> https://github.com/OSGeo/proj.4/issues/44

I don't see any remanining CTable file. As far as I can see, in projgrids, all files are CTable2
except the .gsb files (NTV2) and ntv1_can.dat (NTV1). So the ticket can probably be closed.

> 4.       Are the current tests affected of your "removal-proposal"? Removing
> the null grid could have some consequences.

I imagine that the tests woud probably require downloading a few grids.

Even

http://www.spatialys.com