[Proj] Coming releases of PROJ.4

Sebastiaan Couwenberg sebastic at xs4all.nl
Fri Jun 23 02:18:53 EST 2017

On 06/22/2017 11:45 PM, Even Rouault wrote:
>> I could potentially collect the API calls of projects I'm familiar with
>> (GDAL, shapelib, libgeotiff, mapserver and QGIS), so we have a better
>> picture of what is actually used in the wild. At the very least, it will
>> give us an idea of what the capabilities the new API should cover...
>>

> Here's the result of my exploration of proj API use in those packages :
>
> [...]
>
> All of them use only proj_api.h (quite logical since Frank Warmerdam was involved in all those
> projects at the time proj_api.h was introduced)
>
> So the projFileAPI isn't used (except pj_open_lib / pj_ctx_close as a legacy way)
The language bindings are likely to use projects.h, at least Geo::Proj4
(libgeo-proj4-perl) does. pyproj (python-pyproj) uses proj_api.h.

Using codesearch.debian.net shows that many of the PROJ.4 reverse
dependencies include projects.h, so getting rid of that requires
patching those projects.

Kind Regards,

Bas

--