[Proj] Coming releases of PROJ.4

Even Rouault even.rouault at spatialys.com
Thu Jun 22 16:45:52 EST 2017

> I could potentially collect the API calls of projects I'm familiar with
> (GDAL, shapelib, libgeotiff, mapserver and QGIS), so we have a better
> picture of what is actually used in the wild. At the very least, it will
> give us an idea of what the capabilities the new API should cover...

Here's the result of my exploration of proj API use in those packages :

GDAL:
    pj_ctx_alloc
    pj_ctx_fclose (1)
    pj_ctx_free
    pj_ctx_get_errno
    pj_ctx_set_app_data (1)
    pj_ctx_set_debug (1)
    pj_ctx_set_logger (1)
    pj_dalloc
    pj_find_file (2)
    pj_free
    pj_get_def
    pj_get_errno_ref
    pj_init --> not really used in fact
    pj_init_plus
    pj_init_plus_ctx
    pj_open_lib (1)
    pj_strerrno
    pj_transform

    Regarding (1) and (2), only apply to recent GDAL 2.2
    (1) dirty use of the API available in currently released proj versions for a very particular use
case of finding the full filename of a grid used by proj
    (2) cleaner approch of (1) with the pj_open_lib() function I added recently in proj master
version

mapserver:
    pj_clear_initcache
    pj_ctx_alloc
    pj_ctx_free
    pj_dalloc
    pj_deallocate_grids
    pj_free
    pj_fwd
    pj_get_def
    pj_get_errno_ref
    pj_init
    pj_init_ctx
    pj_inv
    pj_is_latlong
    pj_set_finder
    pj_strerrno
    pj_transform

libgeotiff:
    pj_free
    pj_fwd
    pj_init
    pj_inv

shapelib (not the lib itself, but by a few of the associated utilities):
    pj_free
    pj_init
    pj_is_latlong
    pj_transform

QGIS (libqgiscore. I don't think other QGIS libs depend directly on proj)
    pj_ctx_alloc
    pj_ctx_free
    pj_dalloc
    pj_free
    pj_get_def
    pj_init_plus_ctx
    pj_is_latlong
    pj_strerrno
    pj_transform

All of them use only proj_api.h (quite logical since Frank Warmerdam was involved in all those
projects at the time proj_api.h was introduced)

So the projFileAPI isn't used (except pj_open_lib / pj_ctx_close as a legacy way)

Even

http://www.spatialys.com