[Proj] Time dependent datum transformations

Kristian Evers kreve at sdfe.dk
Fri Mar 24 04:32:13 EST 2017

Hi Nick,

Let me answer you last question:

>  To the Proj-4 community: Are there plans to add time-dependent datum transformations to Proj-4? (Or is that support already there?)

Yes, and (to some extent) yes. With the introduction of “transformation pipelines” and the new API (previously discussed here on the mailing list and GitHub) in the development version of PROJ.4 it is possible to implement time-dependent datum transformations. The framework that allows you to implement various time-dependent transformations is there, but not much has been implemented yet.

Within the Nordic Commision for Geodesy I am involved in a project about implementing a dynamic reference frame in Iceland, so this is something that is very much in focus on my end. As time allow it, I am working on adding time-dependent transformations to PROJ.4. First of will be extending the Helmert transformation so it also handles 14-parameter shifts. That should take care of most of your needs for ITRF transformations I imagine. Another thing I am working on is time-depending deformation grids. If you are interested in the progress of this pay attention the GitHub page.

> As a community, we have managed to largely ignore the issue of dynamic datums for a long time. As precise point positioning technology becomes more and > more available, and more and more users are able to access cm level positions in the ITRF, we are not going to be able to continue to ignore this issue.

I agree. We are taking the first steps in PROJ.4 now, but there is still a huge implementation effort waiting in downstream projects!

/Kristian