[Proj] Time for a new release?

Kristian Evers kreve at sdfe.dk
Thu Nov 9 05:38:12 EST 2017

All,

I think the current development cycle is coming to an end and a new release should be made. It's been more than a year since that least release of PROJ.4. In that period of time the library has improved significantly, most notably by the introduction of a new and more consistent API, transformation pipelines and the cct 4D transformation CLI utility. The new additions have already seen a fair amount of testing and are now at a point where I believe they are stable enough to be released to the public. I would like to propose that we release the next version of PROJ.4 on December 15. This gives roughly a month to take care of the last few kinks that need to be ironed out. It also gives users of the library amble time to test the developing version in the setups and report any issues that have appeared since the last release. With a release mid-december we should aim for a release candidate in the start of December.

I hope we all agree that the time has come to get a new release out there. Please voice your opinions on this matter.

Howard, I guess you will be doing some/most of the heavy lifting with preparing the actual release, so please feel free to propose another time if this doesn't fit your schedule.

/Kristian