[Proj] Time for a new release?

Kurt Schwehr schwehr at gmail.com
Fri Nov 10 11:24:19 EST 2017

When I'm following point releases (Mac OSX fink), I prefer more frequent
releases and smaller deltas.  That reduces the risks of breakages and gets
fixes in sooner.  With more time between releases (and packager updates),
we tend to get wedged for long periods of time.  I prefer not to see crazy
version jump.  I prefer to see traditional API change based version bumps,
but that's really hard to do as what is a break change can be surprising.

For most of my work, I've given up on point releases completely and am
going with patch by patch.  I do have to combine a few patches sometimes to
get to the next stable point, but it's super easy to do.  That means I can
usually isolate a behavior change down to the smallest bit of code and work
on handling that with my users.  And if there is a patch a user can't cope
with, I can (usually) hold just that change back for a while and keep
applying other patches for a while.

I'm still working to catch up to head, but the switch has already been
paying off massively.   I have a bunch of bugs that I haven't reported yet
as I'm sure a large fraction of them were caught by OSS Fuzz and already
fixed in Proj.4.

I've done the same for GEOS and GDAL.  Working patch by greatly reduced the
stress involved in updating.  It's a lot easier to catch and manage
behavior changes that impact my users.

You can see some of my biases in this talk by Titus... "C++ as a "Live at
Head" Language" https://youtu.be/tISy7EJQPzI

http://schwehr.org