[Proj] Time for a new release?

Howard Butler howard at hobu.co
Fri Nov 10 10:51:53 EST 2017

On Fri, Nov 10, 2017 at 8:48 AM, Greg Troxel <gdt at lexort.com> wrote:

> To me this is just churn, and makes people have to update all sorts of
> things for no reason.  I prefer leaving the project name as is, and just
> using  version numbers as apropriate.   I see nothing wrong with PROJ.4
> version 5.0.

I'm interested to hear other opinions, although I suppose version
numbering is the ultimate bike shedding exercise. I agree it's going
to cause churn, and that churn was my primary objection to
incrementing the name in the first place. That said, it seems
dissonant to me to call it PROJ.4 v 5.0.0.

Here are some facts about the next upcoming PROJ.5 release:

* A number of serious and sometimes silly warnings, overflows, and
bugs were found and fixed due to participation in the Google OSS Fuzz
project https://github.com/google/oss-fuzz
* Generalized geodetic transforms
* A "modern" API is now available (3rd attempt to create one over the
history of the project, I think?) to take advantage of the transforms,
streamline usage, and provide more safety
* Significant command line tool improvements

Kristian and Thomas' recent efforts are the first sustained
development activity that PROJ has had since Frank spent a bunch of
time in the codebase in the early 2000s. We should expect there will
be a few bumps.

Howard