[Proj] Time for a new release?

Greg Troxel gdt at lexort.com
Fri Nov 10 09:48:56 EST 2017

Kristian Evers <kreve at sdfe.dk> writes:

> RC1 December 15 is fine with me. Feature freeze between RC1 and final
> release?

As a packager: of course.  Once you call something RC, it implies that
you only make changes which are fixing bugs that are regressions since
the last actual release.  So that's even stronger than feature freeze.

Some projects make lots of changes just before a release.  This leads to
problems on systems other than where the primary developers test.  So I
also think that any non-trivial change should lead to a new RC and
another week at least of waiting.

> Regarding re-branding I agree that we have to something. I still stand
> by my proposal a few months ago, but ultimately it's not a huge deal
> exactly how we do it. As long as it is clear to everyone that a major
> update is coming. Howard, are you proposing we change the name of the
> project to PROJ.5?

To me this is just churn, and makes people have to update all sorts of
things for no reason.  I prefer leaving the project name as is, and just
using  version numbers as apropriate.   I see nothing wrong with PROJ.4
version 5.0.