[Proj] Time for a new release?

Charles Karney charles at karney.com
Wed Nov 15 16:15:18 EST 2017

I have a selfish wish that I should be able to build current versions of
gdal and geotiff with either proj 4.9.x or proj 5.0.x.  However it seems
that proj 5.0.x won't be backward compatible (at the source code level).
Is this right?

I don't expect proj 5.x to maintain backward compatibility indefinitely.
However, if it is possible to provide it for a year or so, that would
definitely ease the incorporation of proj 5.x into our software
ecosystem.

If this isn't possible, it would be good to get started on new versions
of gdal and geotiff which work with the new proj API.

   --Charles