[Proj] Time for a new release?

Sebastiaan Couwenberg sebastic at xs4all.nl
Fri Nov 17 14:43:32 EST 2017

On 11/17/2017 07:39 PM, Kristian Evers wrote:
> Unfortunately we don’t hear from that many users of the library. Plenty of package maintainers are chiming in, but not many whose code will be impacted by breaking changes. It would be nice to hear get som input from that side of the table.

Not many users of the proj library are subscribed to this list.

> I understand the problem you have as a package maintainer. It is not easy and either way we go is going to be problematic, although keeping backward compatibility seems to be lesser evil. How long do you suggest support for both API’s should last? 1 year? 2 years? Longer?

Ideally longer, especially since this project only sees about one
release per year.

Of the ~50 Debian packages that use proj, many of these projects will
take quite a while to adapt to the new API, several of which will
require these changes to be contributed because they won't develop it
themselves.

Helping projects adapt to the new API may be a good subject for sprint
where interested developers create patches for the various projects that
lack the resources to adapt to the new API themselves.

Kind Regards,

Bas

--
 GPG Key ID: 4096R/6750F10AE88D4AF1