[Proj] New OSGeo website should rename Proj4 to Proj

Roger Oberholtzer roger.oberholtzer at gmail.com
Fri Jan 12 03:03:29 EST 2018

On Thu, Jan 11, 2018 at 3:01 PM, Kristian Evers <kreve at sdfe.dk> wrote:
>> Isn't it a premature call?

>> As discussed on the proj list [0][1][2], the "4" in the PROJ.4 name
>> should be de-emphasized, since the next major release will be PROJ
>> v5.0.0.
>>
>> Please rename the project on the new website from "Proj4" to "Proj".

I agree about the name being simply Proj. My reasoning:

The release numbers don't match the API/ABI version. Proj 4.9.3 is
actually 12. What is being called the 5.x series will go through a few
version numbers. Keeping these two independent sets of numbers
straight is always a source of error.

One set of numbers to rule them all...

--
Roger Oberholtzer