[Proj] Use of C++

Thomas Knudsen knudsen.thomas at gmail.com
Wed May 23 12:11:00 EST 2018

> OK let me try to summarize my thoughts in a bullet list fashion

... misread that as "thoughts in a bullshit fashion" :-)

Although I will probably never grow up to actually *love* C++,
I occasionally fall in love with the "the much smaller and cleaner
language struggling to get out" (as C++ creator Bjarne Stroustrup
stated it) .

I do, however, *love* the thought of seeing libproj supporting
WKT2, ISO19111 and friends. And if embracing C++ is the way
you can implement that fastest and most efficiently, I believe that
is what should be done.

I have spent 2 years of my life working towards a libproj more
suitable for handling general geodetic transformations, while
staying within the bounds set by C89. This really makes me want
to see a less restrictive environment for your important next step.

Also, I would love to see a more clearly defined delineation of
where PROJ stops and GDAL takes over. Obviously, this will
only happen by applying an overall architectural restructuring,
involving both C and C++ code, from both PROJ and GDAL.

I believe, as accuracy expectations grow, PROJ will have to
evolve into not only a libcrs, but into a lib-general-geodesy,
to stay relevant. Doing that without introducing sharper tools
will result in an unmaintainable mess.

So enough of my "thoughts in bullshit fashion" - just let me
summarize by saying that I believe that introducing C++
elements in libproj will be necessary to achieve the goals
set forward in the gdal barn raising, and hence not really a
decision to consider, but just an inevitable bullet to bite
(or candy to enjoy, for those so inclined).