[Proj] Use of C++

Andrew Bell andrew.bell.ia at gmail.com
Wed May 23 12:59:03 EST 2018

If C++ isn't used at the API, isn't this an implementation detail as long
as it builds on systems you want to target?

That said, the issue I have with the GDAL API, which is mentioned as a
model, is that it's complicated in that it's always unclear who owns what
and what needs to be freed by the application, etc.  It creates bugs and
ambiguities.  Whether the API is C or C++, allowing the library to manage
data to the extent possible is desirable.  Looking at the proj 4 API, there
are only a few instances where you might need to look at the source code or
documentation on this (proj_list..., a few calls that take non-const char *
and a few that take char **), so not a bad starting point.  If C++ allows a
cleaner interface, I'd be a happy user, but if the same effect can be
achieved with C, that's fine as well.  If a binary-compatible C++ interface
is important, hiding the implementation behind a pointer is standard
practice and works pretty well.

Andrew Bell
andrew.bell.ia at gmail.com