[Proj] Testing framework

Kurt Schwehr schwehr at gmail.com
Tue May 29 13:22:23 EST 2018

My requests:

1. Please do not use Boost.Test.  I can't use that in my bazel based env
(at least without suffering some serious pain)
2. Please do not use a pure C based framework (e.g. Mateusz's comment about
cunit)

I personally prefer GoogleTest + https://github.com/google/benchmark, but
that's probably not surprising given that I work at Google :)

I see a few projects using Catch2, so I can adopt those tests easier than I
did with TUT.  I got TUT working under bazel, but it wasn't fun.

Any way you cut it, it's not too big of a deal to have a third_party/ tree
for the testing framework.  They are all pretty small.

If Proj goes with GoogleTest (gunit), I have these:

https://github.com/schwehr/gdal-autotest2/tree/master/cpp/third_party/proj

I'd be happy to submit any of them to Proj under the Proj license.  I'm
just using gdal-autotest2 as a place to let folks see them.  I also use
python's unittest to driving testing binary command lines.  They aren't the
most exciting tests ever and not much coverage yet, but they help to keep
my stress level to a minimum. Some of these will take a little bit of
cleanup to remove some Google specific things like how to find gie files.

http://schwehr.org