[Proj] PROJ PSC

Howard Butler howard at hobu.co
Thu May 31 17:00:32 EST 2018

Greg,

PROJ has never operated under the aegis of anything really. The MetaCRS
attempt tried to rally SRS-related software projects under an umbrella
within OSGeo, but as I've mentioned on the MetaCRS list [1], it is a
failure as an organizing principle for the software projects. We are
ostensibly required to vote within MetaCRS to agree on a release, but it
is unfortunate make-work that doesn't really protect the release, and it
is a motion put forward to an uninterested voting base. I think it is
time to dissolve MetaCRS as an authority at least as it pertains to
releases and software project management. It's still a great mailing
list with access to real expertise on coordinate systems (that overlaps
with this mailing list, but not entirely).

PROJ needs some kind of body for release organization and technical
dispute resolution (we've never had one). A PSC will be a better
governance situation than exists now for PROJ. The PSC approach,
pioneered by Frank in the MapServer and GDAL communities, would work
very well for PROJ. The PSC names I listed were chosen because they have
been active recently (well, except Frank, who provides institutional
memory).

After Frank moved on, I stepped forward as the PROJ maintainer, but I
know very little about coordinate systems. I just tried to keep the
lights on and sweep the (documentation) floor. Thankfully, Kristian,
Charles, Kurt, and Thomas have stepped forward to takeover and provide
technical and academic heft to really improve things. Their PROJ efforts
are the basis of the GDAL SRS Barn Raising effort https://gdalbarn.com,
and without their contributions, there wouldn't be any traffic about
code styles, testing frameworks, or object hierarchies. PROJ has seen
more activity in the past year than it had in the previous fifteen. Its
renewal has been fantastic to watch.

Howard

[1] https://lists.osgeo.org/pipermail/metacrs/2017-August/000956.html