[Proj] WGS84 to NAD27 Coordinate conversion in Android
martin.desruisseaux at geomatys.com
Wed Nov 14 04:19:42 EST 2018
I you look for a pure Java implementation, Apache Spatial Information
System (http://sis.apache.org/) can do this coordinate transformation.
Apache SIS is a source of inspiration for the new PROJ version
(https://gdalbarn.com/) in progress. Pros and cons below:
* Strong emphasis on OGC and ISO standards, including GML, WKT 1 and
* Advanced features not found even in Proj.4 (late-binding
implementation, etc.). PROJ is catching-up with gdalbarn however.
* You can use it in a way that does not make you too dependent on this
particular implementation, through GeoAPI interfaces.
* Not as many projections than Proj.
* Relatively large binary (~3 Mb) with many features not needed for
WGS84 to NAD27 UTM transformations.
* Depends on JAXB, which is not available by default on Android.
* Making sure that SIS runs on Android would probably require more work.
The JAR size problem may be mitigated by trimming down the classes not
needed by your application. I think Maven Shader plugin can do that.
Since Java 9, jlink can also do that but the result is a native binary
instead than a portable Java Archive file. A Google Summer of Code
student started a port of SIS to Android (e.g. removing JAXB
dependencies), but this work has not been completed.
Let me know if you wish any additional information,
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
More information about the Proj