[Proj] WGS84 to NAD27 Coordinate conversion in Android

Robb Main rmain.mws at gmail.com
Wed Nov 14 08:15:27 EST 2018

Thanks for your input, Greg.

My existing app codebase is under Android Studio on Windows platform. It
already uses the NDK & JNI wrapper to integrate a support library written
in C, so I'm familiar with the process.

Given my very modest needs (WGS84 coordinates -> NAD27 UTM coordinates),
I'd like to avoid linking in a swiss-army knife, when all I need is the
tooth-pick. I'd also prefer to use a java codebase that will compile
natively (mainly for simplicity & code maintenance considerations) if its
available.

I wasn't aware of OSMAnd - thanks. However, it does not provide coordinate
conversion (which is what I require), and most of the 'detail' provided
appears to be oriented to roadmaps & urban areas. This application concerns
areas literally 'in the middle of no where'. No roads, wifi, or cell
coverage.

Best Regards.