[Proj] Integration of RFC2 work with existing PROJ code: axis order and unit issues

Martin Desruisseaux martin.desruisseaux at geomatys.com
Sat Nov 17 05:49:39 EST 2018

Hello Even

Le 14/11/2018 à 21:15, Even Rouault a écrit :

> One of the main issue I foresee before doing any implementation is
> axis order. In the old epsg file, geographic CRS use the
> longitude,latitude order, whereas proj.db and the new code I've
> developped respect the axis order declared by the authority, so in the
> case of EPSG,latitude,longitude for geographic CRS.

What about the following policy?

  * "epsg" in "+init=epsg:4326" refers to axis order as declared in the
    EPSG database.
  * For axis order as used in Proj.4, one of the following choices:
      o Define a new authority name, for example "+init=proj4:4326".
      o Or append a parameter to the code, for example
        "+init=epsg:4326;axisOrder=lonlat". This proposal as been
        discussed at OGC, but I don't think it became official
        recommendation.

Martin