[Proj] using Equal Earth in R

Samuel Mehr sam at wjh.harvard.edu
Sat Sep 8 19:39:52 EST 2018

Hello, I am hoping to use the Equal Earth projection in some visualizations
produced in R, but I can't seem to get the projection to load in R. I saw
that it is listed as available from proj4 here:
https://proj4.org/operations/projections/eqearth.html.

For instance, in the simple instance below I get the following error:

install.packages('proj4')
install.packages('ggalt')
library(proj4)
library(ggalt)
xy <- data.frame("long" = quakes$long, "lat" = quakes$lat)
s <- project(xy, "+proj=eqearth")
Error in project(xy, "+proj=eqearth") : unknown projection id

Are there other packages required to use this projection? Or is this an
error on my part, or a bug? I do practically zero geographic visualization,
just need this for a figure and thought it would be cool to use the new
Equal Earth projection.

thanks!
Sam

--