[Proj] Canada NTv2.0 grid shift files

Nicolas Cadieux nicolas.cadieux at archeotec.ca
Thu Sep 13 12:56:54 EST 2018

Hi,

According to your web site (see below) Canada’s NTv2.0 grid shift files are considered non-free Grids.  I have recently been in contact with NRCAN regarding this fact and they have confirm that the license of the file is now considered Open under Canada’s Open Data license.

https://open.canada.ca/en/open-government-licence-canada

We are now “... free to Copy, modify, publish, translate, adapt, distribute or otherwise use the Information in any medium, mode or format for any lawful purpose.”

I am there proposing that Canada’s outdated NTv1.0 file should be removed from the proj packages and be replaced by the NTv2.0 grids.  I can provide the new license, the contacts at NRCAN, if needed, and the latest NTv2.0 file in order to facilitate the proposed changes.

If you are responsible for this part of the project or if there is a more formal way of asking this change, please contact me directly.

Thanks,
Nicolas Cadieux

Btw, the link below for the file no longer works. I will provide a new link if needed during a transition period.

https://proj4.org/resource_files.html
“Non-Free Grids

Not all grid shift files have licensing that allows them to be freely distributed, but can be obtained by users through free and legal methods.

Canada NTv2.0

Although NTv1 grid shifts are provided freely with PROJ, the higher-quality NTv2.0 file needs to be downloaded from Natural Resources Canada. More info: http://www.geod.nrcan.gc.ca/tools-outils/ntv2_e.php.”