MapTools.org

[rosa-users] Re: [mapserver-users] Rosa

Yewondwossen Assefa assefa@dmsolutions.ca
Wed, 07 Aug 2002 15:12:45 -0400
Hi There,

This concerns the first part of your e-mail. Nonthing to do with Flash
output.

 There is a mecanisime  in the ROSA applet where you can pass a url to the
applet and let the applet download the image instead of submitting the page.
This functionnalty was used a couple of years ago with one project but was
not testesd since (although I beleive It should still work).

 Here is the mecanisme using ROSA ,Javascript, PHP/Mapscript :

  - user does his interactions (like zoom 2 etc)

  - build a URL corresponding to the action of the user using javascript.
(It is basicaly the same URL that would be sent to the user if you do a
submit on the page). Eg :

     url = '/msapps/my_phpscript.php3?OUTPUTTOJAVA=1&zoom=2

 - call the applet's function  SetMapInformations with this URL (assuming
her that the name in the applet tag in your html file is RosaApplet):
      document.RosaApplet.SetMapInformations(url);

 - in your script my_script.php3 , you could have something like this :

   $img = $gpoMap->draw();
    $url = $img->saveWebImage(MS_PNG, 0, 0, -1);

   $outputdata = printf("MAPURL=%s\n", $url);

   echo $outputdata;

- the applet will use the output and extarct the MAPURL and replace it's
image with the one generated.

 It realize that this is a little bit confusing, and in this in the wish
list to be able to update not only the image for rosa but all other
parameters (like pixel size dor mesuring, etc...).

Hope It helps,

Andrew Haigh wrote:

> All,
>
> I've used MapServer over the last year or so and I think that its great.
> However, has anybody got an updated version of the Rosa applet, that
> doesn't refresh the entire browser frame when you perform a zoom / etc
> operation?
>
> I did have a stab at writing something for my final year project at uni.
> but its not very good or robust! I Keep thinking about a re-write, but
> then I think about writting something in flash (like
> http://www.geofactory.com).
>
> Any ideas?
>
> Regards,
>
> Andrew