MapTools.org

[rosa-users] FW: [Mapserver-users] jBox Announce

Timothy.Mackey@ga.gov.au Timothy.Mackey@ga.gov.au
Thu, 6 Nov 2003 10:40:36 +1100
Hi,

Has anybody compared the rosa applet with Mapplet/jBox?

If so, is there any difference in the reliability, in particular with
different browsers and O/S?

Thanks,

Tim Mackey
Web Applications Manager
Geoscience Australia

-----Original Message-----
From: Richard Greenwood [mailto:Rich@GreenwoodMap.com]
Sent: Thursday, 6 November 2003 9:50 AM
To: mapserver-users@lists.gis.umn.edu
Subject: [Mapserver-users] jBox Announce

Hello Mappers,

The Java client that was previously named "Mapplet" is now called "jBox"
and replaces Mapplet on the User Contributed Utilities page:
    http://mapserver.gis.umn.edu/contributed.html

Mapplet was a Java applet that allowed the user to drag a box across a map
for zooming or attribute data queries. Mapplet also provided a function for
real time cursor coordinate tracking, and for image swapping. Image
swapping allows the applet to update the map image without having to reload
the whole page.

jBox includes the functionality of Mapplet and adds two more functions: 1.
Image dragging for use in conjunction with panning. 2. Line drawing to be
used in conjunction with distance scaling in a manner similar to the
distance or ruler tools in ArcView and MapInfo. Area calculations will be
added to the line drawing function in the near future. There is also a
version of jBox that works with PNG imgages.

Documentation is in the HOWTO section of the documentation page:
    http://mapserver.gis.umn.edu/doc.html
The drag /pan function is not documented yet.

A working example of jBox is at:
    http://www2.tetonwyo.org/mapserver/

jBox works reliably with Netscape 4.x on Windows and Linux, and IE 5+ (and
maybe earlier) on Windows. It is not entirely stable on Mozilla 1.x (which
really bums me out, and I'd love some help from any Java applet wizards out
there). jBox does not work with IE on the Mac (and probably never will). I
don't know about Netscape or Mozilla on the Mac.

Best regards,
Rich

Richard W. Greenwood, PLS
Greenwood Mapping, Inc.