MapTools.org

[rosa-users] FW: [Mapserver-users] jBox Announce

Martin, Daniel A Daniel.A.Martin@erac.com
Wed, 5 Nov 2003 18:03:59 -0600
I'm no expert to make this comparison.  I have used both applets at one time or another.

It used to be that Rosa had more features than Jbox (at that time Mapplet).  Testing out Richard's demo of the new version of Jbox, it looks like it now surpasses Rosa.  The panning is something Rosa cannot yet do.  The distance draw, though supported by Rosa, I could never get it to work - and I tried like crazy.  Looking at the source code for the demo page leads me to believe it must be much simpler with jbox, but I could be wrong.  Both now have png version.

Unfortunately, both have the same memory issue in IE when using the default JVM.  Every page load results in more memory chewed up.  I was hoping one or the other would not exhibit that behavior.  Even though I know the MS JVM is bad, and unsupported, most users are using it without even knowing.  And in my case, I must use it (NTLM authentication).  Eventually the system runs out of memory.  The bigger the map window, the sooner it happens.

-Dan