[rosa-users] ROSA-Applet reloading every request...

Daniel Morissette dmorissette at dmsolutions.ca
Mon Aug 15 10:06:09 EDT 2005

Stefan F. Keller wrote:

> Every request a user does (Zoom/Pan/etc.) mapserver - and therefore my
> browser too - responds with a complete HTML reload - including the
> 300K ROSA applet.. which takes time.
>
> Technically seen, it would be more efficient when there would be a
> direct protocol between the client applet an the server

It could be more efficient to not reload the page everytime, but that's
not the way ROSA works: at the time it was designed as an extension for
the <INPUT TYPE=IMAGE> form parameter which submits the page everytime.
That was back in 1999-2000 when JavaScript was not as useable as it is
today.

Today there are other options if you don't want to submit the page
everytime, there's at least ka-Map (http://ka-map.maptools.org/) and
MapBuilder (http://mapbuilder.sourceforge.net/). I'm sure there are many
others but I can't think of them right now.

>  (or at leas a
> more smaller sized applet).

Note that once the applet has been downloaded once, it should stay in
your browser's cache, so you pay the price for the 300k download only
once. Also, the version of the applet without PNG support is quite a bit
smaller, around 120k if I remember correctly.

Daniel
  Daniel Morissette               dmorissette at dmsolutions.ca