[Shapelib] Re: hi,sir,about shapefile/GIS

Frank Warmerdam warmerdam at pobox.com
Tue Nov 9 09:37:05 EST 2004

Фº® wrote:
> Dear sir warmerdam£¡
>
> I'm a member in gis world.I like your program in shapelib.
>
> I want to consult you about deleteing shape's features using
> c-programming.I wish that I could get your help. Thank you.
> I hope to make friends with you.

Xiao Han,

Ah, as I imagine you know deleting shapes is not currently supported
by Shapelib, though I do kind of wish it was.  Do you happen to know
what ArcView does when a shape is deleted?  Does it just mark the
.dbf record deleted?  Does it update the .shx file to skip the deleted
shape?  Does it rewrite the whole .shp file to "compress out" the
offending shape?

I would be happy to work with you on adding this support, but I don't
have too much time so you would end up needing to do most of the work.

I am taking the liberty of cc:ing my reply to the shapelib mailing
list in case anyone else has suggestions on how this is supposed to
be done.