[TinyOWS-users] compiling tinyows

Olivier Courtin olivier.courtin at oslandia.com
Mon Feb 27 06:36:49 EST 2012

On Feb 25, 2012, at 11:36 PM, Daniel Porter wrote:

Hi Daniel,

> I'm working on compiling tinyows.  This is the first time I've tried
> compiling something other than "hello, world!" from source.  I've run
> into obstacles I've had trouble getting past on both Windows
> Datacenter 2008 64bit and Ubuntu Oneiric Ocelot 64 bit.
>
> On Windows, I followed Alexander Bruy's guide

I can't help you on Windows plaftorm,
maybe some others folks here,
maybe Alexander himself...

> On Ubuntu Oneiric server, after muddling through some errors, I
> installed these packages:
> 1. make
> 2. libxml2-dev
> 3. postgresql-9.1
> 4. postgresql-server-dev-9.1
> 5. postgis
> 6. apache2

On Ubuntu/Debian like, there's a package called
'build-essential'

Did you also tried that one ?

> (Tangentially: The guide at
> http://www.tinyows.org/trac/wiki/UserDocumentation indicates that
> "Fast-CGI is recommended".  To get fastcgi, do I have to compile
> apache myself?)

Apache i would say no,
but fast cgi, i guess so.

On the other hand, to give a try to TinyOWS,
you could play with FastCGI a bit later.

> When I get to the "make" portion of the guide, I get a number of
> undefined references:
> /tmp/ccpYuos7.o: In function `wfs_parse_operation':
> /home/ubuntu/tinyows-0.9.0/src/wfs/wfs_transaction.c:929: undefined
> reference to `xmlFreeDoc'
> /home/ubuntu/tinyows-0.9.0/src/wfs/wfs_transaction.c:1005: undefined
> reference to `xmlFreeDoc'

Look like something wrong with the libxml2 link.
But normally the ./configure step operation should warn you.

Could you provide the whole ./configure output ?

> /tmp/ccLyg5oq.o: In function `wms_get_map':
> /home/ubuntu/tinyows-0.9.0/src/wms/wms_get_map.c:90: undefined
> reference to `PQexec'

And here same kind of problem, but with PostgreSQL...

> These errors make me think postgreSQL wasn't compiled with the pq
> headers.  I went to try to install postgresql from source, but that
> looked like another headache,

Install PostgreSQL from source is not *that* painfull
(you could have a look to the PostgreSQL quick install from source part)

But on the other side, only with the right packages
providing PostgreSQL headers (the -dev ones) it should be enough.

> so I thought I'd see if y'all could
> point me in the right direction before I went too far down that path.

First step is to understand what's went wrong:
So as i said previsously begin to provide the whole ./configure step output.

> Anyways, very excited about playing with TinyOWS.  Looks like a cool project.

:)

--
Olivier