[Cartoweb-users] Minimal project

Alexandre Saunier alexandre.saunier at camptocamp.com
Thu Jun 9 06:15:40 EDT 2005

Eduard,

Eduard Witteveen wrote:
> When i now retrieve the url: http://localhost:8080/hawarit.php i get a
> empty string back. Could someone give me some pointers/help to what a
> minimal project should contain?

It's already a good start if you had the demo working => your CW3
install is OK. Your mapfile seems alright as well since a direct call to
Mapserver succeeds.

It's hard to know what's going wrong since we don't have much info on
the crash.

Project creation is documented here:
http://cartoweb.org/doc/xhtml/user.project.html

A minimal project setup (no layout customization, standard
functionalities, etc. => we just want to build a map with your data)
would be:
- copy htdocs/demo.php and save the copy as hawarit.php
- edit  htdocs/hawarit.php to update CW3_PROJECT to 'hawarit'
- create a hawarit/ dir in projects/
- create a client_conf/ dir in projects/hawarit/
- write a projects/hawarit/client_conf/client.ini with simply the
following parameter: mapId = hawarit (thus it will override mapId info
contained in the standard client_conf/client.ini)
- create a server_conf/ dir in projects/hawarit/
- create a hawarit/ dir in projects/hawarit/server_conf/
- at first copy the projects/demo/server_conf/demo/ content in
projects/hawarit/server_conf/hawarit/ and rename the demo.ini and
demo.map files to hawarit.ini and hawarit.map
- point your browser to hawarit.php => the demo map should appear
- to get your own maps, put your own hawarit.map in
projects/hawarit/server_conf/hawarit/ and adapt consequently the
hawarit.ini. Discard the layers.ini (a basic layer tree is then generated).

> Some other notes:
> - I try to signup on the cartoweb-users at lists.maptools.org list, but i
> dont get any response email from the server

You may try again here :

> - Can i view a archive of this list somewhere?

The archives are available here:
http://lists.maptools.org/pipermail/cartoweb-users/

and a search engine (not really useful for now ;) ) here:
http://lists.maptools.org/search.phtml?config=cartoweb-users

> - Are there otherways to communicate about cartoweb? (irc?)

Not yet.

Regards,
Alexandre