MapTools.org

[Chameleon] Chameleon vs CWC2

Paul Spencer spencer@dmsolutions.ca
Fri, 10 Oct 2003 10:39:58 -0400
Liz

There is not a quick or easy answer to your question, but I will try :)

Here's my take:

Chameleon is a derivative of CWC2.  We took the core technology for
template processing, widget handling, etc. out of CWC2 and made it a
stand-alone component.  Chameleon does not provide the Service Instance
that CWC2 does (although the CWC2 Service Instance can now be re-written
as a Chameleon application).

Many of the widgets in Chameleon may appear older than the CWC2 version
for a couple of reasons:

1. bug fixes in the CWC2 branch.  When we find problems, or problems are
reported, they are fixed in CWC2 but may not always be fixed in
Chameleon.  This could be an oversight.  Or it could be a fix that is
only pertinent to CWC2 (because the fix relates only to the service
instance component of CWC2, which isn't yet part of Chameleon).  Or it
could be a widget that does not work with Chameleon because it is a
CWC2-specific widget.

2. To help optimization in Chameleon, some of the widgets names changed
(this also addresses your other problem).  Widgets by the older name may
still appear in Chameleon but are deprecated (and would not work).

Regarding documentation, the existing documentation relates to CWC2, not
Chameleon.  Because chameleon is not a directly funded product for us
(as CWC2 was), the development of documentation is taking more time.
Documentation will be ready for the first release of Chameleon 1.1.

The core of Chameleon is actually pretty stable.  However, the problem
is with the widgets.  Many widgets made assumptions about being in a
CWC2 environment.  Others used naming conventions that make them
incompatible with the new version (optimizations).  We are slowly
transitioning widgets from CWC2 to Chameleon 1.1 as required by our
clients for ongoing projects.  Also effort is going into building new
widgets.

We have deployed several applications using 1.1 and are doing active
development on it.  Development on CWC2 is now limited to bug fixes only.

If you can provide me with details on the problems you are running into,
I will try to assist you in solving them.