MapTools.org

[Chameleon] Development Time

Paul Spencer spencer@dmsolutions.ca
Thu, 15 Jan 2004 13:11:29 -0500
Faye,

several others have answered already, but I'll throw my 2c in.

Developing a chameleon application is something that will take you
between 2 hours and 2 weeks :)  This depends in large part on your
familiarity with the widgets and wrapping your head around how things
work.  A lot of stuff happens by magic, and until you 'get' how it
works, it can cause quite a lot of problems in unexpected ways.  A
barrier to 'getting' it is a lack of complete documentation and good
examples.  We are working on the documentation as quickly as we can, but
the fact remains that this is still a work in progress.

If you take the latest version of chameleon and the chameleon example,
assuming you have got everything installed including Chameleon, PHP and
PHP/MapScript - MapServer, then you need to build a MAP file (for
MapServer to know where and what format your data is in) and make a
small change to the sample application.  You will then have a live web
mapping application with your data.  This would take about 1 day if you
know nothing about MapServer (to build the map file).  At this point,
you would start playing with the application interface (or template) and
modifying it to your preferred look and feel (web page design and layout).

If you start doing graphic work as well, that can add a lot of time.

So it could take as little as 2 hours to get a new application going,
but could take several weeks depending on the other (non-web-mapping)
components.

Once you understand how chameleon works, it is a lot easier to build a
basic application, and most of the time is actually spent designing the
web page (application template in chameleon terms) rather than fussing
with widgets.

For MapServer, it depends on the skill levels of the people involved and
the platform you are on.

If you have a pre-existing environment that you are trying to integrate
into, then I would allow more time.  If not, it can be quite
straightforward and quick.  For example, on Windows you can get a
pre-configured mapserver environment including Apache web server, PHP,
mapserver, PHP mapscript and some applications from
http://www.maptools.org/ms4w/.  This typically takes 1 hour to download
and 17 seconds to install (it's just a zip file :))

If you want to work with IIS, you have to set up both MapServer and PHP
as CGIs in order for Chameleon to work.  This has been accomplished on
every version of Windows and IIS to my knowledge, but it can be
problematic for loads of people because of security constraints or other
issues.

On linux or any other *nix, it should take no more than 8-10 hours to
get everything installed depending (again) on the box.  A vanilla
install would be more likely to work quickly, a highly customized and
upgraded box would probably require additional time for solving library
dependency problems (most commonly with GD).

Of course, there are the mailing lists and even commercial consulting
support for those that need/wish it.  The mapserver community is
especially helpful and deals with a wide range of issues every day from
newbie questions to really advanced, bleeding edge uses.  Its a very
dynamic mailing list that is highly recommended (by me anyway :))
Chameleon's list has less activity, but it is starting to grow and we
are starting to see some experts emerge in the community already (like
Bart and the GeoDan folks).  And there are new users every day, it is
gratifying to see other folks jump in to respond to questions on the list.

Hope that helps,

Paul