MapTools.org

[Chameleon] Query by rectangle

Paul Spencer spencer@dmsolutions.ca
Wed, 10 Mar 2004 08:23:28 -0500
Not a problem :)

The current query widget is only 'query by point' for a very good
reason.  The core capabilities of Chameleon were developed under
contract with the Canadian Government to solve a specific problem for
them.  Part of their requirements was that the capability work with OGC
data sources (specifically, WMS servers).  There was no scope in that
contract to provide non-WMS support.  Since WMS supports only query by
point capability, that's all the current query widget does :)

Since that contract, we determined that Chameleon would be useful to a
larger mapserver audience, so we have been busy working on making it
work for both OGC and local data sources.  But it still has quite a
'web-centric' way of working.

I would expect that the current query widget will be modified at some
point to include two modes of operation: mode="point" and
mode="rectangle".  The intention would be to allow the application
designer to decide if the query widget can do only point or both point
and rectangle queries.  I suspect that we will be developing this in the
near future as this is a common feature needed by most applications.