[Chameleon] Proxy server getting fed up?

Jacob Delfos jacob.delfos at maunsell.com
Wed Nov 3 21:47:29 EST 2004

Hi All,

I have run into a little problem to which I cannot seem to find a good solution; Whenever I try to access our chameleon sites on our public server, our browser goes through the proxy-server. For some reason, this proxy gets extremely slow after a number of visits have been made. After the proxy server is cleared (all cached documents gone), it's very fast again. But within a few days, it's all clogged up. Unfortunately, one of our clients seems to be experiencing similar problems; their proxy server seems fed up with chameleon pages/images, because access to our server is getting much slower.

I think it is related to how the documents are cached. I am no expert at all, but I suspect it uses a hashing algorithm, which degenerates to a sequential search for URL's that are very similar and would return a similar result from the hashing algorithm. Is that what's going wrong? The problem shows up particularly for UpdateMap.php, after using javascript to nagivate (without submitting the page, in CWC 1.0.4). Each request to this file takes 4 seconds or more (on a LAN), making javascript navigation slower than submitting.

I got tags in my template to supposedly prevent caching:

<META HTTP-EQUIV="Expires" CONTENT="0">

But no effect. I've also tried to put an extra random string as the first parameter for UpdateMap.php (in case it hashes on the first part of the url string), but it didn't have any effect at all.

Has anyone else run into this, or does anyone know more about this? I'd appreciate any tricks anyone can give me.

regards,

Jacob

P.S. sorry about asking questions about the 'older' version, but I haven't got javascript navigation working yet in 1.99.

JACOB DELFOS
SPATIAL INFORMATION ANALYST
Maunsell Australia Pty Ltd
629 Newcastle Street, WA 6007