[Chameleon] Several questions

Paul Spencer pspencer at dmsolutions.ca
Wed May 4 11:47:07 EDT 2005

Hi Dirk,

answers inline

Dirk Jesko wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I am creating a portal using chameleon. Most widgets work pretty well
> and I really like the environment. However, I ran into a couple of
> mostly minor problems:
>
> 1. I would like to translate the GUI to German. Is it just done by
> adding a new column of the dbf-files and writing the corresponding text?
> Or is there something else that has to be done?

that is correct.  Someone did contribute German translations but I never
did integrate them into the cvs version.  Bad Paul!  Unfortunately,
things got a bit out of date and now it would be difficult to do.

Speaking of which, I am not happy with how translations are currently
working, it is too hard to maintain.  I am trying to come up with a
better way ...

> 2. I just realized, that the reprojection using the ProjectionSelector
> only works with vector data. As soon as I activate a raster layer, no
> image is returned. Before I investigate this further, I would like to
> know if someone else experienced something similar.

it should work as long as the projection is valid.

> 3. Again ProjectionSelector. After changing the SRS, the KeyMapDHTML
> shows the correct bounding box, but using the KeyMapDHTMLMode buttons
> result in incorrect bounding boxes, i.e. the new bbox of the main map is
> far outside the covered area. After setting the SRS back to the one
> specified in the map-file, it works perfect again.

it seems possible.  Wierd things happen when changing projections,
however.  Are you sure that your projections are valid for the region
you are viewing?  Not every projection is suitable.  For instance, the
LCC projections likely won't work in Germany (at least, not the ones we
use in Canada ;))

> 4. How can I change the template for a query result? I specified one in
> the map-file, but chameleon still uses the standard table.

You can't ... directly ... however, there is a way to customize query
results, see the following:

http://chameleon.maptools.org/tiki/tiki-index.php?page=QueryWidgetCustomizingResults

> 5. The symbol chooser used in the MapNotes widget writes the images into
> a wrong directory. It seems that it always uses
> C:\Programme\ApacheGroup...\htdocs\mstmp\ for writing, but uses the one
> specified in the map file resp. chameleon config file. Am I possibly
> missing some option again?

not sure about this, it works for me using the sample app.  Could
possibly be a configuration error or a problem with the widget being
used in a way I didn't predict.

> 6. The MapTips widget does not recognize my layers. I just shows the
> option to remove all map tips. However, it works well with the enhanced
> sample. My layers are all PostGIS. Is there any SharedRessource or
> Metadata that has to be defined in order for the MapTips to work. I can
> not see any in the example. By the way I am using the xmlthemeledgend
> widget.

um.  MapTips should work with PostGIS layers just fine.  But you do have
to 'select' a layer to use.  Selecting a layer means using the
SelectLayers widget or setting metadata "selected" "1" on the layer you
want to use for the map tips.  The SelectLayers widget is in the
enhanced sample and is configured to work with the radio buttons in the
legend template.  SelectLayers doesn't have any user interface, it just
provides a javascript function you can call.

I recommend that you look at the legend template for the enhanced sample
and try to add radio buttons to your xml theme legend for this purpose.
  Or implement some other mechanism to mark layers as selected.

> 7. The download from PrintProduction widget always generates a PNG, even
> if a different format has been specified in the dialog. The PrintPreview
> on the other hand creates an image in the requested format. Therefore, I
> assume that there is a problem within the widget an not in the
> configuration.

I think there may be an open bug on this ...