[Chameleon] Ugly,how to find reason for random chrashes in Chameleon/PHP/NTDLL.dll

Erik Baluba erik1969 at mailhaven.com
Thu May 12 07:16:29 EDT 2005

Hi Bart,

Perhaps that's the reason why there are no such binaries around, because
Oracle and Mapscript doesn't really work :-/
I have tested my setup on a Win2k server today, and the same problems
persist. Funny thing is that I haven't even been accessing Oracle yet,
I'm testing against the Chameleon samples, which only use Shapefile
input! I'm therefore not convinced that the problem in my case is Oracle
related. I looked a bit more on the binaries you created. I noticed the
Mapserver CGI binary is extremely small, just 36kb, and the mapscript
dll is also very small compared to those in default ms4w installation.
Are they stripped or something? Perhaps my WinDbg trap would be able to
show more information if the Mapscript had full debug info?  I also
noticed that it depends on xerces 1.6, which is rather old...

Anyway, your suggestion on WMS sounds like a good idea, although I
expect it will be somewhat slower? We have been accessing Oracle with a
Mapserver CGI for a couple of years without hickups. I'm not experienced
with using WMS layers. To be sure I understand you correctly, are you
suggesting that I use a Mapscript binary without Oracle support for
Chameleon, and then a Mapserver binary with Oracle support as a CGI to
connect to Oracle? Would you mind sending me a small extract from one of
your mapfiles which illustrates how things are done.

Thanks for your help.

 regards,
   erik