[Chameleon] Postgis, queries and ROI

Paul Spencer pspencer at dmsolutions.ca
Thu Jan 26 11:27:49 EST 2006

Hi,

On 24-Jan-06, at 5:32 AM, Panayiotis Gotsis wrote:

> Hi all
>
> I have successfully set up a chameleon app connecting to postgis
> data and
> I have to tell you I am thrilled about the result. However I have a
> couple
> of questions on the way I should move forward...
>
> Using the query widget I can get a standard template for the results.
> Where can I customize the template? If I want to add up fields from
> other
> tables (no postgis data) on the results, do I have to setup the
> data for
> the layer in the map file like this?
>
> the_geom from (select table_a.the_geom, table_b.data from table_a,
> table_b
> where table_a.some_id=table_b=someother_id) as table_source
>
> or is there a better solution?

There are probably many ways to do this.  To use mapserver, you will
need to do the join in the data attribute as you suggest above.  You
can also do a separate query based on the appropriate attribute.  In
either case, to customize the query results requires a bit of work on
your part.  There are instructions in the chameleon wiki for this.

http://chameleon-tiki.maptools.org/tiki-index.php?
page=QueryWidgetCustomizingResults

> Also, about the ROI widget set, I can't seem to find who I can use the
> resulting selection to do something useful such as popping up a window
> with info on the selected geographical features

They are used in conjunction with a couple of specialized extraction
and query widgets (WFS related) but could be easily adapted to the
custom query stuff above.

Cheers

Paul