[Chameleon] possible errors in the description of tags, other ambiguities

Normand Savard nsavard at mapgears.com
Mon Dec 17 14:01:23 EST 2007

Maciej Sieczka wrote:

>Hi
>
>Few months ago I sent a couple of questions which I never
>got a reply for. I'm sending them again, in case it someone
>might like to look into them this time. Any comments
>welcome. The query follows:
>
>I noticed possible errors in the description of tags in
>chameleon.xml and cwc2.xml. See:
>
>cwc2.xml, service_instance_path:
>
>It's description reads: "This is the URL to chameleon.php".
>Isn't this a copy/paste typo from chameleon.xml
>web_server_path tag by any chance? What should it be
>pointing at? An absolute filesystem path or an URL
>according to my Apache settings?
>
>chameleon.xml, wms_parse_file:
>
>"Leave empty to use the Chameleon C module if available
>(faster and brand new) or the built in PHP parser (slower
>and obsolete)."
>
>This doens't make sense to me. It says, AIUI, that if I
>leave it empty, either the C module, if available, or the
>PHP parser will be used. So why do I need to put anything
>here? Do I? The exact question is: if my full path to
>wmsparse is
>"/home/etc/chameleon/htdocs/common/wmsparse/wmsparse", shall
>I put it here like this or not?
>
>Also, the descriptions of the following tags in the cwc2.xml
>do not make it clear if these are supposed to be absolute
>filesystem paths or URLs according to my web server settings:
>
>server_data_path
>default_context
>default_template
>context_root
>template_root
>fontlist_file
>symbol_file
>
>I think I know what the two last ones mean but the mixture
>of different terms, some lacking info and my ignorance don't
>make me sure enough. I would really be gratefull if someone
>knowledgable could explain this.
>
>Also, the Instalation Guide on [1] is not up-to-date with
>current Chameleon directory structure. And I'm not sure if I
>adapt it to the current one properly.
>
>All these issues and my lack of knowledge are to puzzling
>for me. Please help.
>
>[1]http://chameleon.maptools.org/help/viewer.phtml

Maciek,

About wmsparse, it means that if you leave it empty and wmsparse has
been compiled (so wmsparse is in
/path/to/chameleon/htdocs/common/wmsparse) this wmsparse will be used.
If wmsparse has not been compiled and this field is empty the built in
PHP parser will be used.

If you have no intention to use Chameleon as a remote server you can put
cwc2.xml aside.

On which platform are you working on.  I'm asking that because if you're
on Windows you can use ms4w package for Chameleon.  It is very simple to
install.

Norm